We highly recommend performing a heavy truck inspection while diagnosing a customer issue. This will not only generate more work for the shop. It will also prevent unscheduled downtime of the customer’s unit. You will be able to identify potential issues ahead of time.
The Heavy Truck Inspection: A Win-Win
Performing a heavy truck inspection with every diag is a win-win deal. The shop and the customer both benefit. It also helps you justify charging for the diag itself.
The inspection itself is similar to a driver’s vehicle inspection, only geared more toward preventing unscheduled downtime.
Here is a sample list of inspection steps to follow every time you check in a unit:
- Check all engine and auto transmission fluid.
- Check all lights.
- Check brake pads / shoes / drums & adjustments
- Check for oil leaks.
- Check belts, tensioners, and pulleys.
- Check all tires for flats and tread depth.
- Check radiators for leaks / debris.
- Verify service order VIN to unit’s VIN.
When performing the inspection, the technician will often find defects. He needs a way to quickly notate them. He’ll either diagnose defects on the spot, or get back to them later, after addressing the customer’s original complaint.
In reality, defects identified during the check in inspection become complaints of their own. They can be priced out and presented to the customer. They can go on the same estimate as the original complaint. The customer then has the choice to say yes or no to each complaint.
Benefits to the Shop
Following are benefits to the shop for performing a heavy truck check in inspection:
- The shop is protected by identifying any preexisting damage or issues.
- The shop can get more business by finding issues the customer would like fixed.
Benefits to the Customer
Following are benefits to the customer from a check in inspection:
- Avoid unscheduled downtime by catching issues before they become major problems.
- Take care of multiple issues all at once, instead of downing the truck multiple times.
- Peace of mind knowing there are no major issues when the inspection comes back clean.
The Right Tool
Heavy truck inspections during diag clearly benefit both the shop and the customer. Make sure your shop is equipped to quickly perform and document a check in inspection. To see how we have built the check in inspection into the natural workflow of Fullbay, request a demo below.
Request a demo of Fullbay